Who says you need to head to the hair salon to tackle grown-out roots? When it comes to DIY beauty treatments, a root touch-up at home is one of the easiest to master. No, seriously. All you need is the perfect root concealer, a steady hand, and 10 spare minutes – or less. Before you know it, that telltale regrowth (and even stray greys!) will be history.
So let's get into the details: here's everything you need to know about disguising root regrowth, and fast, with the perfect product for your hair goals.
First, how long does a root touch-up last?
How long do you want it to last? If you're looking for a brief fling with a wash-out shade, reach for temporary root touch-up products that keep regrowth concealed until your next shampoo. Clairol Root Touch-Up Spray is great for this, as it vanishes regrowth in just a few spritzes. All you have to do is apply or spray it directly into the roots and head out the door. You can also use Root Touch-Up Concealing Powder, which works like makeup for your hair. It even looks like a makeup compact, featuring micro-fine pigments you can sweep over dark roots on the go.
Meanwhile, if you want more commitment, disguise root regrowth with a permanent colour, like the original Root Touch-Up By Nice'n Easy. It lasts for up to three weeks, comes in a wide range of shades, and the results are beyond seamless. It perfectly blends with the rest of your hair for a flawless finish every. single. time.
Is Root touch-up permanent?
We know – the term ‘permanent hair color’ can be pretty confusing. All types of hair dye will experience some level of fading in time, but with Root Touch-Up By Nice'n Easy, you’ll enjoy vibrant colour and grey hair coverage right up until the point when you notice your root regrowth emerging (up to 3 weeks). After which you’ll be ready for your next full-colour application. And, because Root Touch-Up By Nice'n Easy is so quick and easy to apply, you can give yourself a speedy top-up when those greys start growing through again. No salon visits necessary.
How often should roots be touched up?
It depends on what root touch-up product you're using. If you’re using a temporary cover-up, like the Root Touch-Up Spray, you should reapply after each shampoo. You can also reapply before if needed but be careful not to apply too many times without washing in between to avoid build-up – just like you would with hair spray. It only takes a few seconds! If you’re using permanent Root Touch-Up By Nice'n Easy, reapply every three to four weeks after your last whole head application for an always salon-fresh look.
How to touch up your roots at home
Now you know how long coverage lasts, let’s take a closer look at how quick and easy root touch-ups at home can be. These are the step by steps you need to know...
For permanent root coverage in 10 Minutes:
Your perfect product: Root Touch-Up permanent hair dye By Nice'n Easy
Lasts: For up to three weeks until your next all-over color.
Shades available: 18, including options for red, brown, black or blonde hair.
Follow these steps:
Before you start colouring, make sure you do an allergy patch test. Here's how:
1. Mix small, equal amounts of colour and activator into a non-metallic bowl with a plastic spoon.
2. Apply a small amount of the mixture with a cotton ball or swab to the inside of your arm near the bend of your elbow.
3. Allow to dry and leave it on for 48 hours (make sure you don’t wash it off!).
4. If a rash, redness, swelling, burning or itching occurs, you may be having an allergic reaction. Stop using the product.
Once 48 hours have passed, it's time to apply your root coverage:
1. Place a towel around your shoulders and put on the gloves inside your colouring kit. Make sure the mixing tray is on a flat surface.
2. Empty the contents of the Permanent Colour Crème tube (labeled #1) & Colour Activating Lotion bottle (labeled #2) into the mixing tray, then use the accompanying applicator brush to blend them together.
3. Use the brush for precise application of the mixture through your roots. The thin handle is great for parting tresses, so you can reach every strand.
4. Once you've covered all regrowth, set your timer for 10 minutes. To cover stubborn grey roots, leave the colour on for an extra five minutes.
5. Time's up! Rinse the colour out thoroughly, then apply conditioner if needed. Roots will be under wraps for up to three weeks.
Pro Tip: Did you know you can use Root Touch-Up to give yourself a subtle root shadow? Simply pick a colour one shade darker than your colour, then follow the application tips above. This trick goes great with blonde highlights for a subtle balayage effect.
For a temporary grey concealer spray
Your perfect product: Root Touch-Up Temporary Spray
Last: Until your next shampoo.
Shades available: Light blonde colours to dark browns and black. They're ultra-blendable and adaptable, making it easy to find your match.
Follow these steps:
1. Wrap a towel around your shoulders to keep your clothes protected while you spray.
2. Gently press the nozzle to target roots and greys from around six inches away. You use this clever root spray in a similar way to a dry shampoo.
3. Work through sections of hair to get full coverage of roots. Start with a light spray, then add more if needed. The buildable colour is ultra versatile.
4. In three seconds flat, grown-out roots will be history. Our water-resistant and sweat-resistant formula has you covered all day with natural-looking grey coverage and no sticky residue.
Looking to fade away greys? Discover our complete guide on the best hair dye for grey hair.