Red hair ladies, this one's for you.
If you're struggling with a dark brown root regrowth or grey roots emerging only a few weeks after your full-colour top-up, don't worry. We're here to guide you through the process of doing a red hair root touch-up at home. With Clairol root touch-up products, it's never been easier to get beautifully blended coloured roots and expert grey coverage from the comfort of your own home.
So, let's get started.
First things first, how simple is it to do a red hair root touch-up at home?
Red hair is gorgeous, but keeping up with root touch-ups can be a challenge.
The good news is you can easily do a root touch-up at home[LC1] with the right supplies and techniques. Whether you want to cover up grey hair, conceal dark root growth or refresh your roots, you can do it all with no salon visit required — making it a less time-restricting and more affordable option.
Want to explore which root touch-up product is right for you? Keep reading to learn more.
Permanent vs temporary root touch-up products
Clairol root touch-up products are available in different permanence, and certain product rangeshave a variety of red shades available. But what exactly is the difference between temporary andpermanent root coverage solutions?
Temporary root coverage
Temporary root touch-up products are ideal for those who want a quick fix and want to avoid a permanent colour change. However, it's worth noting that they only last until your next shampoo and may not work as well on stubborn grey hairs.
Permanent root coverage
Permanent hair dye provides longer-lasting results making them the perfect in-between product that doesn't require dyeing your entire head of hair. Use it to refresh your colour between salon visits or at-home hair dye top-ups.
Clairol Nice'n Easy Permanent Root Touch-Up product lasts up to three weeks and offers 100% grey coverage. Each kit comes with a brush for precise application and takes up to 15 minutes to do. As the number one root touch-up product* it's certainly one you'll want to try, especially if you're already using our Nice'n Easy permanent hair dye.
How to use Permanent Root Touch-Up by Nice‘n Easy
Touching up your roots at home with Root Touch-Up is easy with some preparation. By following these steps and choosing the right shade, you'll have beautiful, vibrant red hair in no time.
Step 1: Do an allergy and strand test
If you're using permanent hair colour, you must do an allergy test before applying the product fully. This will prevent any reactions to the dye and help you see if you like the shade you've selected for your roots.
To do an allergy patch test, simply:
- Mix small, equal amounts of colour and activator into a non-metallic bowl with a plastic spoon.
- Apply a small amount of the mixture with a cotton ball or swab to the inside of your arm near the bend of your elbow.
- Allow to dry and leave it on for 48 hours (make sure you don't wash it off!).
- If a rash, redness, swelling, burning or itching occurs, you may have an allergic reaction. Stop using the product.
In addition, if you're using a permanent touch-up product, temporary root spray or concealer, you may wish to do a strand test to try out the colour. You can do this by applying your chosen product to an isolated strand of hair.
Step 2: Preparation
Before you start, make sure to prepare yourself and your hair for the process. Here are some things you should do to get ready:
- Choose the right colour match for your hair: It can be trickier for those with red hair to find their exact match when touching up their roots. Choosing the wrong shade could make your roots look out of place. Doing a strand test will help you feel at ease with your choice.
- Protect your clothes: Root touch-up products (or any hair dye) can stain your clothes. So it's always best to wear an old T-shirt or cover yourself up with a towel or cape to avoid staining.
- Gather your tools: You'll need a brush or comb to section your hair, disposable gloves to protect your hands from the product, and a mirror to see what you're doing. You might also want to consider adding some petroleum jelly to your hairline to prevent staining.
- Have plenty of time: Take your time and make sure to follow the instructions carefully for a detailed application. Set aside some time when you won't be interrupted.
- Cleanse your hair the day before you colour: Wash your hair and make sure it's completely dry before starting.
By following these simple steps, you'll be well on your way to achieving a great root touch-up job right in the comfort of your home.
Step 3: Application
Now you're ready to bring your new red roots to life! Follow these easy steps to get the colour you desire:
- When you’re ready to colour, mix the colourant (#1) and developer (#2) into the bowl in the kit and mix with the brush that is provided.
- Apply hair colour to your roots using the applicator brush, making sure not to miss any spots, starting at the hairline and part.
- Set your timer for 10 minutes. Leave for 15 minutes if you're dealing with any stubborn grey hairs.
- Rinse with warm water until water runs clear and condition. Done and done!
Top tip: Always read the instructions before you start to make sure you have everything you need. When dyeing your hair, preparation is key!
How to care for your red roots
You need to take good care of your red roots to keep them looking fresh and vibrant before your next all over colouring session. Here are some easy tips for caring for your red roots:
- Use a gentle shampoo and conditioner specifically made for coloured hair. This will help prevent fading and keep your red locks looking bold.
- Don't wash your hair too frequently. Every 2-3 days is usually sufficient. Overwashing can strip your hair of its natural oils and cause your colour to fade quicker.
- Wash your coloured locks in cold water. Hot water opens and exposes the hair cuticle, causing your colour to fade faster. Cold water, on the other hand, seals the cuticle, making it a much safer option for red hair.
- Protect your locks from heat. When styling your hair, make sure to use heat-protectant products to prevent heat damage and maintain your colour.
- Keep an eye out for products with UV protection, as the sun can cause dry hair and can make your colour fade quicker. You may also want to invest in root cover-ups like hats or bandanas if you're out in the sun for long periods of time. You don't want to burn your scalp!
- Use conditioning treatments and moisturising beauty products to keep your hair and roots in tip-top condition. Remember, coloured hair can be more prone to dryness so adding moisturising treatments to your hair care routine will work wonders.
Say goodbye to grown-out roots. By following these easy steps, get ready to make a bold statement with your fiery red roots that are sure to turn heads.